Field Upgrades and Migration Rights
Field Upgrades allow OEMs to install Microsoft Embedded to systems that are already field deployed. The cost for upgrade runtimes is the same as the full runtime but have different part numbers. Field upgrades require an additional agreement between the OEM and Microsoft. Contact the Microsoft team ( MSteam@Avnet.com ) get a copy of the Field Upgrade agreement.
What are downgrade or migration rights?
- OEM Customers have consistently asked for the ability to support end user requests for "Downgrade Rights" or "Migration Rights" when changing to a newer version of the Licensed Software Product (Final Software).
- OEM Customers with substantial demand for Images containing older versions of Licensed Product (Prior Software) will be able to provide Images containing Prior Software.
- However, if an OEM Customer has transitioned to the Final Software, and occasionally receives requests from end users in writing for Images containing Prior Software, the OEM Customer may support that end user with the following requirements:
- Distribute the Prior Software on their Embedded System for temporary use;
- Distribute the Embedded System with the Final Software Certificate of Authenticity (COA) affixed.
- Final Software must be a successor version of the Prior Software.
- Distribute two Recovery Images using commercial reasonable authentication to only function with the licensed Embedded System.
1. Final Software Recovery Image: The Final Software Recovery Image can be provided either on external media or via OEM Parties' website as a download in accordance with the terms and conditions of the License Agreement.
2. Prior Software Recovery Image: The Prior Software Recovery Image can only be distributed on the Embedded System, either on a separate partition or a separate hard disk drive on the Embedded System
- The OEM Customer will pay the Final Software Royalty Rate as indicated on the License Agreement or specified by MS Distributor.
- The OEM Customer must be licensed for both the Prior Software and the Final Software unless the end user provides the software.
- The OEM Customer must have either 1) a Field Upgrade Schedule to the Microsoft OEM Business Terms Document for Embedded Systems or 2) a Microsoft OEM Customer License Agreement for Field Upgrades in effect.
- Prior Software and Final Software may not include end of life Licensed Products that are no longer available for distribution unless the end user provides the end of life product that is no longer available for distribution to be installed on the Embedded System by the OEM.
- The OEM Customer is responsible for providing the Final Software to the end user.
- The Embedded System should include a hard copy of Software License Terms or End User License Agreement for the Final Software.
- Additional requirements are specified in the Field Upgrade Schedule.
What products qualify for downgrade or migration rights?
See list below for qualifying products. As more products become available, the list will be updated from time to time.
Windows Embedded Compact
Windows Embedded Standard
Windows Embedded POS Ready
Windows Embedded Enterprise / Embedded Desktop
Windows Embedded Server
Windows Embedded Automotive